Friday, December 4, 2015

The Joy of the Run


After months of continuing two steps forward one step backing with my running, I am excited tonight! Tomorrow I will be running my first race since February! Tomorrow is the annual Jingle Bell Run for Arthritis 5k and I strategically chose about 6 weeks back for this to be my first public run because the cause means so much to me. To make this race even more meaningful my first public run my shoes will fly for my Father who cannot due to arthritis.

Tomorrow when I lace up my shoes I symbolically lace up victory, and I tie down defeat. I accept there is much work to be done, but also celebrate the freedom of being able to do this thing I love once more. I stand tall for those who cant do this or the things they love due to pain and disability. Tomorrow promises to be a great emotional day for me and nothing can defeat the joy that sings in my soul as I prepare for a cold run in the early morning.

Tomorrow's run will be cold and slow. Both things I'm prepared for and accepting. Speed does not return over night, and I cant change the weather. What I can do is celebrate this gift and chance to continue on my mission to use my running to inspire others, to raise awareness, and to raise funds for a better tomorrow.

I reflect on the last several months and the many times I almost threw in the towel completely. I reached a point so dark I couldn't see past the pain. I faced tough decisions and a long seemingly dark road with no end to the night. Yet that point where I had no hope those that did came and lit my way. My husband refused to let me toss every piece of running apparel I owned, every medal and trophy I'd aquired. He refused to let me quit, and when everyone told me no he told me yes you can, and then helped me find a team who would believe too. Then there were my friends who also stood up and said yes you can. I've learned when your light goes out you learn how blessed you are when others lend you theirs and guide you through the night. It is because of those who cared just enough to hand me a candle that I've relit the torch.


So tonight as I reflect on my luck I also reflect on the many who are not so lucky in their battles with arthritis. I face that we never know how much time we have, and another chance is not guaranteed. I know that many suffer in silence and that there is so much work to be done. I wish I'd known and could have helped my father sooner. I wish I could raise money faster. I wish I could come back faster, and just be faster because I mentally feel this allows me a bigger voice in my mission. I wish I could help more people live big lives following their dreams no matter their adversity.

Tis the season to reflect and celebrate, something I will be doing a lot of in the coming weeks. This will be particularly true tomorrow when I lace up my shoes for my father, and test my legs in the cold. I celebrate yet another chance. Sometimes a race is not about time its simply about Celebrating the Joy of the Ability to Run.

Captain Angry Bones

No comments:

Post a Comment