Tuesday, August 19, 2014

100 Miles 100 Tears of Joy




One of the reasons I love to run is some of my greatest epiphanies happen on my runs. Over the last two almost 3 years my running has been cut short. Today on my 3 mile recovery easy run I realized I would hit 61 miles today the 19th of the month putting me on track to top 100 by the end of August.

If you are not a runner the idea of 100 miles may not really impress you. If you’re an arthritic runner the idea of 100 miles in one month may floor you. 100 miles is a lot of training its 25 miles a week. Most runners run paces between 8-12 minutes a mile. I run about 9 minutes on easy runs this means 25 miles will take me 225 minutes or 3 hours and 45 minutes. In 4 weeks I will run 15 hours. That’s a lot of running!

This little epiphany sent me to the point of happy tears. The last 3 years I have had heavy battles. Its been almost 4 years since I had a 100 mile month it was before I broke my leg in 2011. The months where I ran this mileage was sparse then too: I was not as advanced as I am now in the sport and I still had my growing arthritic battle.

Over the last several years my condition has forced me to focus on quality over quantity. This means pushing as hard as possible in my workouts with what structure I had to make the most gains. Now I am capable of carrying moderately high mileage and harder workouts my body will reap even greater rewards than the amazing ones I got with <25 miles a week.

For the last 3 years I’ve played the game of trying not to anger Arthur or trying to recover from his wrath. Constant rounds of prednisone to knock my disease back losing workouts to the disease. Not able to run more than 3-4 days a week and only 1-2 mid/high mileage days cost me mileage that could have been structured to make gains in performance.

100 is a magical number it means your body is capable of high mileage it’s the base to building amazing running. You can train for a marathon running 100 miles a month, but I know my training this round will push me to closer to 150+ in a month or so. I am truly excited to see that I’ve never been capable of running more than 30-40 miles a week. Going into this training that mileage scared me. This first base month with a coach has showed me body can and will put up with that mileage now. I do still lose workouts that my healthy counterparts don’t but they are far fewer than in the past. My body is not just surviving these miles it is thriving in them!

Facing I will run over 100 miles this month is sheer joy. I have remicade to thank for this. Although I get 2 rough weeks every 8 cycle, I can handle it because it is far better than I felt before this drug. The reality is a real remission is very unlikely for me, but this state of stability is fantastic. I can only hope it continues for as long as possible. A year ago I was facing injections in my hips. A year ago I was terrified I couldn’t run a marathon. Last October I was scared I’d never run the same way again. I kept running because I love it not because it was pleasant. Now when I run it is much easier and for that I’m grateful. I’m thankful to be on a protocol that keeps my body from fighting me every step I take most days. I’m thankful to have the joy of running again. I am blessed to finally reach 100 miles after 3 years of downward spiral.  For all of these reasons I shout with joy because it’s the small miracles like this that make the greatest most profound impacts on our lives. Be joyful in the moment that is given and the battle well won. My battle continues but for now I will relish the fact that I’m able to finally enjoy many of the miles I love so much once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment